Saturday, June 24, 2017

Sharing Sundays #48




Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML


Saturday, June 17, 2017

Sharing Sundays #47




Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML


Saturday, June 10, 2017

Sharing Sundays #46




Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML


Saturday, June 3, 2017

Sharing Sundays #45




Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML


Friday, June 2, 2017

Repurposed Sewing Machine Table




On a whim I stopped by the thrift store on my way home from work on Thursday.  I found these two items for a combined total of 25 dollars!  Yes, they are in poor condition, but the sewing machine has most of it's enamel intact, and it has a bunch of attachments!  


For Memorial Day weekend I decided to tackle the sewing table first.  Mostly because I love sewing, and this seemed to speak to me :)


PREP:  To begin I removed as many things as I could (i.e. sewing machine, table parts, etc.) and gave it a really good cleaning.  For the parts that would not be painted, like the lower cover that is under the table and conceals the sewing machine when lowered, I used pledge.  For the rest I used windex and a damp cloth.  I also needed to remove the laminate that was peeling away.  I used a scraper to get all of the loose pieces off.  I then gave it a really good sanding all over.  I then cleaned it with a damp cloth.





REPAIR:  I then used Bondo to fill in the parts where I had to remove the laminate... It was very very very smelly... but easy to use. 


SAND:  After the bond dried I went back over it with a sander using 80 grit.  It was surprisingly easy to even out, I can see why auto repair people use this!


PAINT:  I then wiped it down again.  To paint the piece I used my new favorite color-- Stolen Kiss from Behr, semi-gloss latex.  It's a really pretty pale pink.  I started with a roller... but it was hard to get to the small spots, so I used a foam brush for the remaining coats.  It took about four coats.... which seams like a lot... perhaps next time I'll try using a primer.  I did sand between the first two-three quotes.  


DETAIL:  I decided to add a few frilly details to the piece.  I found these decorative wood pieces at Home Depot and purchased some glass knobs... added about $29 to the project... which is more than I spent on the furniture... but I think it will look nice in the end.  I stained them a dark brown first because I planned on distressing them later.  I then painted them with antique white semi-gloss paint I had.  I wanted them to stand out from the pink a little, so I chose the white.




Distress:  I than distressed the piece using 150 grit sand paper.  Later I did go back and paint some of the spots over... because it looked a little to distressed...



Add the Detail:  The detail pieces were then added to the table using liquid nails.



Reassemble:  Once the paint had dried I put all the pieces back on.  I also (with much frustration) reattached the sewing machine.  I then decided to plug it in to see if it actual worked...to my surprise IT STILL WORKS!!!. What a deal for 19.99--- nice table and nice working sewing machine!













Sunday, May 28, 2017

Future Coffee Station Table Flip








After completing my first furniture flip--- which was surprisingly easy, I have ventured on to furniture flip number two.  I found this perfect sized table that was in somewhat poor condition at Goodwill for $40.  The size and detail were perfect though for my future coffee station table for my bedroom.  I chose a light pink (mostly because I was tiring of all the antique white I have in my bedroom) called Stolen Kiss a Behr paint from Home Depot.  As I did with my first table I used a semi-gloss latex paint.






Preparing to Paint:  
Before I started the fun part, I gave the table a very good cleaning.  I used a water/vinegar mix (3 parts water to 1 part vinegar) and sprayed it all over the table.  I quickly ripped it down and dried it.  I then gave it a light sanding everywhere.

I also needed to repair some of the trim that was popping off.  To do this I used liquid nails to glue it back, and then clamped it down to secure it.

I then took a little beeswax and put it on a few spots that I wanted to distress later.

Painting:
I used a high quality paint brush meant for smooth surfaces.  I painted one layer, then gave it a light sanding.  I ended up repeating this for three coats sanding in between.  My final sanding was with a 220 fine sanding paper.

Refurbishing the Brass Hardware:
I removed the handle from the drawer prior to painting.  I tried soaking it in coke... it helped a little.  What ended up being a surprise was how a little sanding with 220 grit--- polished it instantly!!  No need to soak it.



Distressing the table:
To distress the table I used 150 grit sand paper and sanded the spots I had beeswax on.  I also sanded the edges.  

Protecting the table:
Since I will be using this table as my coffee station I decide to give it a clear coat.  I used a semi-gloss polyurethane from minwax.  I gave it two coats on the top, one coat for the rest of the table.

Overall cost: $68ish...  $40 table, $19.99 Paint, $8 semi-gloss finish.  I have enough left over paint to probably make 3-4 more furniture flips, enough semi-gloss to do 1-2 more.





Saturday, May 27, 2017

Sharing Sundays #44




Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML