Preparing to Paint:
Before I started the fun part, I gave the table a very good cleaning. I used a water/vinegar mix (3 parts water to 1 part vinegar) and sprayed it all over the table. I quickly ripped it down and dried it. I then gave it a light sanding everywhere.
I also needed to repair some of the trim that was popping off. To do this I used liquid nails to glue it back, and then clamped it down to secure it.
I then took a little beeswax and put it on a few spots that I wanted to distress later.
I used a high quality paint brush meant for smooth surfaces. I painted one layer, then gave it a light sanding. I ended up repeating this for three coats sanding in between. My final sanding was with a 220 fine sanding paper.
Refurbishing the Brass Hardware:
I removed the handle from the drawer prior to painting. I tried soaking it in coke... it helped a little. What ended up being a surprise was how a little sanding with 220 grit--- polished it instantly!! No need to soak it.
Distressing the table:
To distress the table I used 150 grit sand paper and sanded the spots I had beeswax on. I also sanded the edges.
Protecting the table:
Since I will be using this table as my coffee station I decide to give it a clear coat. I used a semi-gloss polyurethane from minwax. I gave it two coats on the top, one coat for the rest of the table.
Overall cost: $68ish... $40 table, $19.99 Paint, $8 semi-gloss finish. I have enough left over paint to probably make 3-4 more furniture flips, enough semi-gloss to do 1-2 more.