Sunday, May 28, 2017

Future Coffee Station Table Flip








After completing my first furniture flip--- which was surprisingly easy, I have ventured on to furniture flip number two.  I found this perfect sized table that was in somewhat poor condition at Goodwill for $40.  The size and detail were perfect though for my future coffee station table for my bedroom.  I chose a light pink (mostly because I was tiring of all the antique white I have in my bedroom) called Stolen Kiss a Behr paint from Home Depot.  As I did with my first table I used a semi-gloss latex paint.






Preparing to Paint:  
Before I started the fun part, I gave the table a very good cleaning.  I used a water/vinegar mix (3 parts water to 1 part vinegar) and sprayed it all over the table.  I quickly ripped it down and dried it.  I then gave it a light sanding everywhere.

I also needed to repair some of the trim that was popping off.  To do this I used liquid nails to glue it back, and then clamped it down to secure it.

I then took a little beeswax and put it on a few spots that I wanted to distress later.

Painting:
I used a high quality paint brush meant for smooth surfaces.  I painted one layer, then gave it a light sanding.  I ended up repeating this for three coats sanding in between.  My final sanding was with a 220 fine sanding paper.

Refurbishing the Brass Hardware:
I removed the handle from the drawer prior to painting.  I tried soaking it in coke... it helped a little.  What ended up being a surprise was how a little sanding with 220 grit--- polished it instantly!!  No need to soak it.



Distressing the table:
To distress the table I used 150 grit sand paper and sanded the spots I had beeswax on.  I also sanded the edges.  

Protecting the table:
Since I will be using this table as my coffee station I decide to give it a clear coat.  I used a semi-gloss polyurethane from minwax.  I gave it two coats on the top, one coat for the rest of the table.

Overall cost: $68ish...  $40 table, $19.99 Paint, $8 semi-gloss finish.  I have enough left over paint to probably make 3-4 more furniture flips, enough semi-gloss to do 1-2 more.





6 comments:

  1. Kathleen, you picked a darling color! It looks so pretty. I am glad you went with pink and not white. Have a great week and Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece and the color is lovely. Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table makeover looks great. I love that style of table and your paint choice is lovely. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job, and I love the color, blush is so hot this year. No one would ever guess this was only your second flip it looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing your project at #FridaysFurnitureFix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful makeover and I love your color choice. Thank you for sharing with us at Vintage Charm.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.