On a whim I stopped by the thrift store on my way home from work on Thursday. I found these two items for a combined total of 25 dollars! Yes, they are in poor condition, but the sewing machine has most of it's enamel intact, and it has a bunch of attachments!
For Memorial Day weekend I decided to tackle the sewing table first. Mostly because I love sewing, and this seemed to speak to me :)
PREP: To begin I removed as many things as I could (i.e. sewing machine, table parts, etc.) and gave it a really good cleaning. For the parts that would not be painted, like the lower cover that is under the table and conceals the sewing machine when lowered, I used pledge. For the rest I used windex and a damp cloth. I also needed to remove the laminate that was peeling away. I used a scraper to get all of the loose pieces off. I then gave it a really good sanding all over. I then cleaned it with a damp cloth.
REPAIR: I then used Bondo to fill in the parts where I had to remove the laminate... It was very very very smelly... but easy to use.
SAND: After the bond dried I went back over it with a sander using 80 grit. It was surprisingly easy to even out, I can see why auto repair people use this!
PAINT: I then wiped it down again. To paint the piece I used my new favorite color-- Stolen Kiss from Behr, semi-gloss latex. It's a really pretty pale pink. I started with a roller... but it was hard to get to the small spots, so I used a foam brush for the remaining coats. It took about four coats.... which seams like a lot... perhaps next time I'll try using a primer. I did sand between the first two-three quotes.
DETAIL: I decided to add a few frilly details to the piece. I found these decorative wood pieces at Home Depot and purchased some glass knobs... added about $29 to the project... which is more than I spent on the furniture... but I think it will look nice in the end. I stained them a dark brown first because I planned on distressing them later. I then painted them with antique white semi-gloss paint I had. I wanted them to stand out from the pink a little, so I chose the white.
Distress: I than distressed the piece using 150 grit sand paper. Later I did go back and paint some of the spots over... because it looked a little to distressed...
Add the Detail: The detail pieces were then added to the table using liquid nails.
Reassemble: Once the paint had dried I put all the pieces back on. I also (with much frustration) reattached the sewing machine. I then decided to plug it in to see if it actual worked...to my surprise IT STILL WORKS!!!. What a deal for 19.99--- nice table and nice working sewing machine!